Sunday, January 28, 2007

Memoirs of a Geisha



I just finished reading this book. I didn't like the style of writing, but I found the story fascinating, especially the process of becoming a geisha. I had never thought so much about this theme and I found it very interesting, as I find fascinating the lives of western cortesans. It makes me think about how much life has changed for women. Before, without the protection of men, be it father, husband or a lover, the only way to survive was to become a prostitute.

I looked for the film in the Internet, the music by John Williams is very beautiful

I also found an interesting site about their history: geisha and mako

Now back to the novel. While reading the book I was imaging it would make a much better film. Well there was a film that opened on December of 2005 and won three prizes. I missed this someway, where was I? The picture I posted is from that film, that now I am extremely curious to watch.

They say that, the film was banned in China because Chinese actresses play Japanese geisha. The national film board and the Office for the Administration of Radio, Film and Television claimed that it was banned because the storyline is "too sensitive".

This picture title is: "Geisha at Gov. Uchida's luncheon,
Tokyo - Dec. 9, 1911"
taken by William Welch.

2 comments:

Foxessa said...

I didn't care that much for either the book or the movie.

There was a false impression provided by both -- that this was a the true geisha tradition -- which was already finished by the time this book took place.

That falseness seemed to taint the other aspects of the book.

Also, many Asians felt that the entire point of the tale -- that the principal's mixed heritage, giving her blue eyes -- was a bad choice, and was also a lie.

For, again, in the days of the true geisha tradition, there is no way a woman would have undergone the training, that starts barely past toddler-hood, who wasn't perfect in every way. Blue eyes, mixed heritage, would be major barriers to her being chosen to become a geisha.

So the focus had to be upon the relationships among the various women themselves, and that part was intensely interesting.

Visually it was pretty.

Love, C.

Andrea said...

As a story, it is like a recycling of so many "dejá vue" stories and yes many things make you think, as the "blue eyes" that you mention. Because I really had no information about this book when I bought it (in a rush of course), I really thought it was about real memoirs. I was disappointed about this. Although the author claims that he interviewed (sp?) many ex-geisha and that everything that has to do with the rituals is based in truth. (?)

Now I promise I go to bed ;-)