Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Breathing Again


I am back from windy tempestuous Holland.
The winds were so fast, that on my way back the airplane took-off in what seemed just too fast, I just hoped the pilot knew what he was doing. Yes I know I have problems with trust.
It was marvellous to go away for a while and to work for 12 hours at the University, between lectures, tutorials, practical work and rehearsals.
The only entertainment was to eat, drink wine and talk with my amazing friends, after hours of work. They tell me I am crazy, but they like me the way I am. It is like fresh air to be around people that like you, just the way you are.

I had to adapt a choreography with my colleagues, which I did in 6 days and with just 2 hours of rehearsal each. They were amazing; I had forgotten what a wonderful experience is to work with professional dancers. They are quick to learn and extremely concentrated. I have to ask myself why people think that dancers are stupid, they definitely are not, just sometimes they have problems articulating with words, at least me.
For example, if I write:
“I like to work in ideas. Even if someone asks me to make an abstract choreography, I create for myself a linear form of thought, like a plot. During my early planning stages I create dance as if it were theatre. Many times it is like laying out a storyboard while trying to discover what I want to say with the intellectual material I find”.
When trying to say the same on words, it would come as:
“I like to work in ideas. Ideas are important for me, the heart of the piece. I need this click to be motivated and actually I am passionate about it….I am thirsty, should I ask for a wine?...What was I talking about? I got distracted looking at that woman that has breast implants, or could it be just the bra?”.

When I write I concentrate in what I am saying, when I talk visual and aural elements distract my thoughts and then I tend to jump from one idea to the next at the speed of light. Yes I know I can look like a lunatic. There has to be a place where I can practice how to talk in a way I look intelligent. I have to give a lecture demonstration in two months. I will begin to practice in front of the mirror, unless my own face distracts me from the flow of my own thoughts.

Yes, it was marvellous to go away for a while. I feel happy again, I was able not just to turn the page, but able to open and begin a new book of my life. I am back and in peace with myself.

8 comments:

Foxessa said...

You said:

[I have to ask myself why people think that dancers are stupid, they definitely are not, just sometimes they have problems articulating with words, at least me.]

This may be why I like choreographers and dancers so much as friends -- not to mention what they create! I think I work like that too, though I do it with words on paper / screen, mostly.

But the linking is the most important element. In just general conversation with me, others often have trouble, following unless they know me well. But in writing, the links, the connectors, are what organization of ideas and even dreams, is all about.

For instance, as you described this process in your words, in my mind, I could see it visualized with bodies and movement in space.

I am so happy to have you back!

Love, C.

Andrea said...

This comment coming from a so intelligent woman, makes me feel better. :)

Fox, you don't know how many people have treated me like an idiot, because I tend to be absent minded, or I make funny associations at the "wrong" time LOL

How many times I have said to some, that having the mind in another planet doesn't make me an idiot, hey, I am getting good notes in my Masters...so it doesn't make sense, right? ;)

Everything has to do with the kind of communication, and in our world verbal communication is still the most important, look at politicians!

Someone that has difficulties with a language that is not theirs, or difficulty expressing ideas in a smart way, is called stupid......look at one of the most wonderful genuises of our times Stephen Hawkings.

Supposedly I was going to cook instead of being here...didn't I tell you that I while ago? LOL

Love!

Foxessa said...

Darling -- Well, I don't make that error, of thinking you either stupid or ignorant.

You are so much the opposite of that, that I'm in awe.

Love, C.

andy said...

If it's any comfort, even someone like me, engaged in a totally different discipline (engineering/managament) suffers the same issue - sometimes I hear myself speak to others here at work, and I'm appalled at the disjointed, seemingly chaotic flow (only it's not flow!) of what I'm saying. I get distracted by my own speech and thoughts! Yet with expression through the keyboard, things are so different.

Btw, I play in a band with a couple of local amateur dramatic groups, and it always amazes me how quickly the dancers are able to learn and understand complex sequences of moves - dummies they ain't!!

Andrea said...

Andy you get distracted by your own speech and thoughts because you have a creative imagination.

Should I venture to say that creative people have problems articulating in an assertive way?
Mhh...I am guessing here, I have no proof.

p.s. I feel better, that others feel in a similar way. At the end I don't come from outer space ;)

andy said...

"At the end I don't come from outer space..."

Or if you do, at least there are some more of us that must have come from the same place :-)

"Should I venture to say that creative people have problems articulating in an assertive way?"
I hadn't thought about it that way before, but the inverse of that also seems to be true - uncreative people have little difficulty with lengthy, one-dimensional monologues! Just look at any politician...

Andrea said...

You really made me laugh outloud with your answer Andy, the way you phrased it is marvelous: [i]Uncreative people have little difficulty with lenghthy, one-dimensional monologues![/i] :-)

Andrea said...

Why my italics didn't come out?

Perhaps I have to use these others testing