Sunday, December 31, 2006

I Should



I hate to use the word should, but I always use it…ugh…smart me…where is the hammer?

I have this work I have to finish for my Masters, I travel in a week and I am very….extremely……astronomically late! Yes, I have my reasons, I have not stopped working at all, and by the way there were not even real vacations all this year.Ok….ok….this is no excuse, I should finish this work before the 7th.

I was going to begin working on this paper the 23rd. I didn’t, after sleeping one hour and going to the Airport twice to leave my performers; I was suffering a kind of jet-lag after 4 o’clock in the afternoon…so tomorrow.
Tomorrow, I thought that I deserved to become catatonic in front of a solitaire game that lasted almost the whole day! Ok…I was tired. Anyway it was Christmas eve, something I had forgotten.
The 25th came…..mhh…. it was the wine’s fault.
At last the 26th I really began working, the "should" became an action, same thing the 27th…until I realized I had forgotten to do some paper work for the grant I received this year!!! PANIC!!! I had one day to do it….I didn’t even responded to one phone call….I suddenly didn’t exist.
Next day, everything was taken care of, I took the important papers and I was relieved. Then I had to meet two colleagues that needed to give me a receipt about the payment they received from “La Marmita”…alias I.
I had a good talk with a friend about some heavy past misunderstandings, I felt better for one second, then I sank into a deep depression for two days, looking for help in the Internet for my deep pain, while thinking: I should continue writing that paper….I need time for someone to correct it…English is not my language!!.................what if I kill myself, like this I resolve everything….but how? It is not as easy at it seems, like going to the pharmacy and telling the man: Do you have a pill that kills instantly and with no effort?
Ok…today is here, after hours of procrastination at last I wrote a thousand words….now I got distracted again writing this entrance in this blog……..ok it is the 31st. I should be celebrating, instead of being in front of this computer. I should ………………………..

I should just stop making a big deal about everything. My intensity tires me.

Andrea, stop writing and open that bottle of wine….by the way you should also learn to write.

2 comments:

andy said...

What if you substitute the word 'could' for 'should'?

Andrea said...

Exactly!!

Could IS the magic word.

We have been taught so many "shoulds" since we were children. But we give our power away with that word.
"Could" give us that power back, because it means we are in charge, we agree or disagree, we act or don't ac.
Could is active and not passive as should.